Did you know that oil-free face cream is not enough to tackle open pores and acne-prone oily skin? Neither is skipping it altogether. The extra layer of oil on your skin could indicate that your skin needs hydration. It could be working overtime to produce excess oil because of inadequate moisturization. You need a toxin-free face cream for oily skin to get a glowing, oil-free look.
While moisturization may seem unnecessary for oily skin, adding a hydrating cream for oily skin that locks in moisture is the best way to control that shiny T-zone and acne-prone skin. Pick a cream with a humectant like hyaluronic acid that attracts moisture and an emollient that creates a protective layer to keep the skin smooth.
What causes oily skin?
The body naturally produces sebum, which keeps your skin healthy and hydrated. Oily skin is a result of the excessive production of sebum. The following are the major causes of oily skin:
- Genetics: You might have inherited oily skin from your parents. If either of them has oily skin, you can have it too.
- Age: The skin produces more oil when you are younger. It gets drier and thinner as you age, making it prone to sagging and wrinkles.
- Weather: Your skin tends to be oilier when you live in a warm, humid region. The skin texture may change with a change in seasons.
- Overdoing skincare: Excessive cleaning, scrubbing, or using harsh products to remove excess oil can cause the skin to produce more oil.
- Hormones: Growth hormones and hormonal fluctuations due to a medical condition may cause the skin to produce more oil.
- Stress and diet: Stress hormones bind to the sebaceous glands and cause increased oil production. Diets rich in simple carbs and sugar can also aggravate oily skin and acne.
Why do you need a toxin-free cream?
While oily skin is less prone to wrinkles, you can delay skin aging only if you keep it in good health. A harsh toner and chemical-laden products end up stripping the skin of its natural oils- the result is excessively oily skin that is more prone to breakouts and acne. Over time, it will affect the overall skin tone and texture.
Look at the ingredients if you struggle with pimples or greasy skin despite using non-comedogenic and oil-free products. If the products or cosmetics are oil or alcohol-based, swap them for oil and alcohol-free products that won’t irritate your skin.
Products meant to treat acne may contain salicylic acid or benzoyl peroxide that dries the skin. Using a toxin-free cream for oily skin is more important to keep it moisturized, especially while following an anti-acne skincare routine.
What kind of creams should you use?
You need not fear creams and moisturizers if you have oily skin. The right cream for oily skin will help maintain a smooth glow and even control the greasy look. Keep the following in mind while choosing a skin cream or moisturizer:
- Non-comedogenic: Look for the ‘non-comedogenic’ label when buying a cream for acne-prone skin. Non-comedogenic products won’t clog pores, reducing the chances of acne and breakouts.
- Oil-free products: A moisturizing cream is a must, even with oily skin. Without enough hydration, the sebaceous glands will be in overdrive and produce extra oil to protect your skin. So pick an oil-free, alcohol-free cream.
- Natural ingredients: Choose a cream with natural ingredients like turmeric and daisy flower extract that have antibacterial and antiseptic properties to protect the skin from acne and inflammation. Aloe vera-based creams also provide hydration and treat acne.
- Niacinamide: This power ingredient can be used as a serum or as creams enriched with niacinamide. Niacinamide, which is a form of vitamin B3+, reduces enlarged pores.
- No toxins: Steer clear of chemicals and toxins that irritate the skin and lead to excessive oil production. Choose chemical and paraben-free products that work gently on the skin to keep it hydrated and help lock in moisture.
Such a cream should be made using an oil-free formula that is non-greasy and feels light on the skin. For example, Mamaearth’s Anti-Pollution Daily Face Cream is enriched with turmeric that fights free radicals and acne. It also has carrot root extract that infuses the skin with moisture.
The oily skin care routine
Irrespective of your skin type, follow the cleansing-toning-moisturizing routine. Sticking to a consistent skincare routine will control oily skin and reduce the appearance of open pores and pimples.
- Cleansing: Wash your face regularly, but with a gentle cleanser or face wash. Pick a cleanser that does not contain alcohol, harsh chemicals, or fragrances that irritate or dry out the skin.
- Toning: Alcohol-based toners can dry out the skin, causing it to produce more sebum. Use a natural astringent that soothes the skin. You can pick a toner infused with green tea, which is known to reduce sebum production.
- Moisturizing: Regular application of an oil-free moisturizing cream will keep the skin hydrated and protect it from environmental damage.
- Sunscreen: Stepping out in the sun dries out the skin, making sunscreen a must for all skin types. Sunscreen will also help lock in moisture and protect the skin from UV-induced sun damage.
- While stress aggravates acne, it can also deepen dark circles caused by inadequate sleep and fatigue. Use an under-eye cream after the face cream to lighten the area.
Best eye cream for dark circles
Dark circles can be a spoiler for an otherwise glowing face. These may be caused by staying awake late, tiring days, or stress. A dark under-eye area needs the best eye cream for dark circles that will soothe delicate under-eye skin and refresh your eyes with natural ingredients.
Mamaearth’s Bye Bye Dark Circles eye cream contains cucumber and peptides that boast skin-lightening properties. Hawkweed and daisy extracts soothe and nourish the under-eye skin to keep you looking fresh as a daisy. It is the best eye cream for dark circles that is MadeSafe-certified and dermatologically tested to suit all skin types.
Be gentle, be consistent
The product you choose is as important as regular skincare for oily skin. Pick a lightweight cream for oily skin that does not contain harsh chemicals or parabens that aggravate its condition. Mamaearth’s skincare products are free of harmful chemicals like petrolatum, silicones, parabens, and sulfates. They are enriched with natural ingredients that keep your skin hydrated without stripping it of natural moisture. The products are suitable for all skin types and can be used by both men and women.